[IPython-user] [IPython-dev] Porting SVN history to Launchpad - help needed.

Sun Jun 1 01:45:04 CDT 2008

Fernando Perez wrote:
>> The problem with bzr is that it slows down with long history, so not
>> having it around in our work copies is a net win. As a fun excercise,
>> we might create an ipython repo with full history at some point - but
>> it certainly doesn't yield tangible benefits right now.

(sorry for the doublon, I always forget reply to all...)

Every DVCS slows down with long history, but really, if bzr is too slow,
then don't use it: using a DVCS will mean more history than with
subversion. Limiting yourself to less history because of bzr slowness
sounds really wrong to me: you lose the whole point.

Now, I really cannot see how this would be the case for ipython: bzr is
slower than hg, and much slower than git, but ipython is a small project
(not that I want to diminish anybody's work, of course). Hopefully, bzr
(or our computer) will scale better when ipython will be as big as the
linux kernel :)

More seriously, I will take a look at this myself. Fernando, are you
only interested in the trunk history ?

cheers,

David