[IPython-user] stderr missing in IPython + Emacs + WinXP

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Mon Jun 2 01:09:37 CDT 2008

Hi Joe,

On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 10:35 AM, Joe Covalesky <joe@nowsol.com> wrote:
> I'm using:
>
> WinXP Pro SP2
> Emacs 22.1.1
> ipython.el 2927
> python-mode.el 4.75
>
> I can get ipython nominally working in emacs ok so long as I use
> pyreadline 1.3.  If I use more recent releases of pyreadline, none of
> the output prompts/ stdout shows up.
>
> Even with pyreadline1.3 (or with -noreadline), stderr doesn't show up,
> e.g.:
>
> In [2]: from sys import stderr,stdout
>
> In [3]: stdout.write('\nfoo\n')
>
> foo
>
> In [4]: stderr.write('\nbar\n')
>
> In [5]:
>
> Outside of emacs, this works just fine.
>
> Any ideas?

Unfortunately I don't have any, esp. seeing how I don't use winxp I
can't really help.  I was hoping Jorgen (pyreadline lead) would pitch
in, but he's been a bit silent for a while, so perhaps he's busy or
traveling,  I just don't know.

I wonder if we have any win32 experts on board who might help with
this one: there seem to be recurring issues with win32/emacs, yet I'm
sure someone out there knows the magic combination to make the whole
thing work.  If you do, please put it up on the wiki!