[IPython-user] Developer guidelines

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Mon Jun 2 19:10:27 CDT 2008

Hi all,

now that we're all working on the same codebase, I would like to make
sure that everyone working on the code is on the same page regarding
the guidelines.  We don't ask anything out of the ordinary, this is
mostly pure Python PEP 8 stuff:

http://ipython.scipy.org/moin/Developer_Zone/Developer_Guidelines

Laurent, I'm not trying to flog you publicly here :)  But I just
reviewed your last commit to the trunk:

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ipython/ipython/trunk/revision/992

In there, I noticed a bunh of methods in CamelCase like getDocText for
example.  IPython uses CamelCase only for class names whenever
possible.  Now it is also important that we start putting full
docstrings (with argument descriptions and doctest examples, even
minimal ones) everywhere.

The API fixes (CamelCase to lower_with_underscores) are fairly
important to be made soon because it looks like more and more of this
code is going to work together with other pieces.  The documentation
improvements and testing will obviously only happen over time.

I don't want to sound like a PITA, but I really think we all need to
ratchet up our standards for the code (myself included).  So I
encourage everyone to subscribe to the branches they care about and
comment on commits.  And chastise me as well!

I hope we'll quickly reach enough flow that this approach will work
without the need for pre-commit review, even if it requires someone to