[IPython-user] Food for thought on python and interactive work

Robin robince@gmail....
Tue Jun 3 05:54:51 CDT 2008

While on the topic of interactive work with IPython I thought I'd add
that a feature I would love to see would be an easy way to do the
MATLAB equivalent of 'save workspace'; that is easily with one quick
command save all the user defined local variables.

At the moment when I need this sort of thing I make a dict of all the
objects I want to save and pickle it - obviously there are problems
with unpicklable objects, but more often I just forget a variable or
object that I should have saved.

Actually it would also be handy to get a list of user defined objects
- like whos but without all the pollution from builtins (I use
numpy/scipy) to help with this.

Robin