[IPython-user] Food for thought on python and interactive work

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Tue Jun 3 15:05:58 CDT 2008

On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 6:57 AM, Ville M. Vainio <vivainio@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 1:54 PM, Robin <robince@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> While on the topic of interactive work with IPython I thought I'd add
>> that a feature I would love to see would be an easy way to do the
>> MATLAB equivalent of 'save workspace'; that is easily with one quick
>> command save all the user defined local variables.
>
> Try a macro like this:
>
> vars = %who_ls
>
> for v in vars:
>  try:
>     %store $v
>  except:
>    pass

Initially in ipython I tried to do a pickle of the entire interpreter
state, which doesn't work (too many things simply can't be pickled).
Mistakenly ignoring the zen of python (practicality beats purity) I
punted.

The above is a good solution, and we can easily whip up a more robust
version with stored workspaces by name, etc.  Please file a request
for it on the tracker!