[IPython-user] Developer guidelines

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Tue Jun 3 15:08:06 CDT 2008

On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 2:11 AM, Laurent Dufrechou
<laurent.dufrechou@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi fernando,
>
>> Laurent, I'm not trying to flog you publicly here :)  But I just
>> reviewed your last commit to the trunk:
>>
>> http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ipython/ipython/trunk/revision/992
>>
>> In there, I noticed a bunh of methods in CamelCase like getDocText for
>> example.  IPython uses CamelCase only for class names whenever
>> possible.  Now it is also important that we start putting full
>> docstrings (with argument descriptions and doctest examples, even
>> minimal ones) everywhere.
>
> You mean ALL my methods are camelCase!

Yup :)

> This is my lovely way of coding ^_^
> Will try to cleanup my code to follow ipython rules, but will take some
> times :)

Sorry...  We're just trying to stay as close to the rest of the
language directives (PEP 8) as reasonably possible.  There's an
obvious exception:  when writing a subclass of an existing class
somewhere else that uses camelCase for methods.  In that case you
don't have an option and you must use the existing code's conventions.

But elsewhere, in all our new code, we'll do our best to just stick to
the regular python conventions (same reason for follwing sphinx use
for docs, etc).