[IPython-user] Autoreload (Re: Food for thought on python and interactive work

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Tue Jun 3 15:13:46 CDT 2008

On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 1:39 AM, Johann Cohen-Tanugi
<cohen@slac.stanford.edu> wrote:
> ok thanks! (I know the usual way but having it readable together with
> the reminder is a plus :) )
> and I think that indeed Yosef Kreinin would pull his hair off his head
> reading the caveats below : these are more or less exactly the reason
> for his rant.
> So it is probably a good canton to drill through as far as possible....
> dreload?
> %autoreload?
> Enthought solution?

Feel free to figure this one out... I'd KILL for a good solution here :)

> And one stupid question, which should probably be directed to another
> list : why are attempts to fix the problem considered the job of 3rd
> party software and not of python core?

Because tinkering with the language for py3k is more fun than fixing
the problems that REALLY matter for everyday use of the language in
production environments, like this thorny one, the messed up semantics
of the import system, a better solution for deployment than the
hideous mess of setuptools, cleaning up distutils, a proper testing
framework that unifies the best of {unittest, doctest, nose}, etc.

I can't think of one thing in py3k that I truly care about for my
everyday work, yet there are things that everyday annoy me about
python, and that I know for a fact have a huge impact on significant
projects (ipython, numpy, scipy,...).  But tinkering with the language
is the fun/sexy work.  Nearly useless, but fun.