[IPython-user] ls and cat commands fail

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Tue Jun 3 18:55:06 CDT 2008

On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 4:46 PM, Tony Mannucci
<Anthony.J.Mannucci@jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:
> I am running ipython 0.8.4 on Mac OS X 10.4.11 (PowerPC). Python
> version 2.5. I am having trouble with ls and cat commands. These work
> on other installations I have access to. The error message looks like:

>>NameError: global name 'WindowsError' is not defined
>
> Thanks for your help!
>
> I did not have this problem on ipython 0.8.2.

I'm sorry you're finding so many problems with the new release.  It's
obvious we've let our codebase degrade badly from sloppy practices.
Hopefully with the testing we're now adding in, this will be much less
common soon.

In the meantime, it seems this is coming from the 'jobctrl' extension.
 Do you use that regularly?  If not, please disable it, as it is the
source of the problem:

In [1]: ls *.zip
wrapping.zip

In [2]: import jobctrl

In [3]: ls *.zip
NameError                                 Traceback (most recent call last)

ETC...

Just check where in your user config you're importing jobctrl and
comment out the import, until this is fixed upstream.

It's been now filed on the tracker:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ipython/+bug/237222

Thanks!