[IPython-user] ls and cat commands fail

Ville M. Vainio vivainio@gmail....
Wed Jun 4 00:51:42 CDT 2008

On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 2:55 AM, Fernando Perez <fperez.net@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm sorry you're finding so many problems with the new release.  It's
> obvious we've let our codebase degrade badly from sloppy practices.
> Hopefully with the testing we're now adding in, this will be much less
> common soon.

Note that "sloppy practices" are quite ok in extension code,
especially in areas that provide new features. The user needs to make
explicit decision to load the extension, and extensions may also need
additional support libraries and system commands.

Most notably, there is no guarantee that an extension will work on all
supported python versions, or all platforms.