[IPython-user] ls and cat commands fail

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Wed Jun 4 01:04:58 CDT 2008

On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 10:51 PM, Ville M. Vainio <vivainio@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 2:55 AM, Fernando Perez <fperez.net@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm sorry you're finding so many problems with the new release.  It's
>> obvious we've let our codebase degrade badly from sloppy practices.
>> Hopefully with the testing we're now adding in, this will be much less
>> common soon.
>
> Note that "sloppy practices" are quite ok in extension code,

Ahem.  Please, let's honestly make our best effort for very high
quality work everywhere.

I really hope you are not serious with that kind of approach.  Bad
code stays and has to be maintained.

I'd like to point out to what I consider one of the best managed
projects in open source today:

http://sagemath.org

In Sage, not a single line of code is committed without:

- patch review
- full documentation
- mandatory, non-negotiable doctests

This applies to even the project originator: William doesn't commit
ONE line of code himself anymore.  Everything goes through a patch
review process and is brutally judged on quality, comments, code
structure, algorithmic correctness, maintainability, etc.

We don't yet have the manpower for something like that, but we MUST
strive for high quality standards.

So no.  Sloppy work is NEVER OK.