[IPython-user] ls and cat commands fail

Ville M. Vainio vivainio@gmail....
Wed Jun 4 09:17:36 CDT 2008

On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 9:04 AM, Fernando Perez <fperez.net@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Note that "sloppy practices" are quite ok in extension code,
>
> Ahem.  Please, let's honestly make our best effort for very high
> quality work everywhere.
>
> I really hope you are not serious with that kind of approach.  Bad
> code stays and has to be maintained.

This is an issue with "release early, release often" and getting the
stuff of peripheral interest to hands of people early enough. In fact,
we can take new extensions in without reviewing them too much. Think
of the extensions as "contrib/" folder that is maintained in ipython
source repository.

It could also make sense to explore the alternative a creating a new
branch for the extension code, and provide a different installer for
them in order to emphasize the difference with ipython core and
ipython extensions (for which similar quality requirements do not
apply). In fact we could explore this for 0.8.5 / 0.8.6 cycle. It
would also free the release of extensions from the releases of ipython
itself, allowing the users of older ipython packages (e.g. those who
want to use ipython bundled with their linux system).

Of course everything should be of high quality, but the limited amount
of testing received by rarely used components hampers this quite a
bit.