[IPython-user] ls and cat commands fail

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Wed Jun 4 10:01:59 CDT 2008

On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 7:17 AM, Ville M. Vainio <vivainio@gmail.com> wrote:

> Of course everything should be of high quality, but the limited amount
> of testing received by rarely used components hampers this quite a
> bit.

No, they receive a limited amount of testing because we don't have
automatic testing in place.  'release early, release often' does not
mean 'release broken code all the time'.   Sage, for example, releases
every two-four weeks, but without ONE line of code that hasn't gone
through thorough review, voting and doctest checking.

So no: I am *fundamentally* opposed to the notion that we release
broken code and hope users come back with the pieces to us.  Now that
I've flushed my long backlog of messages that had fallen through the
cracks and that we seem to be in reasonable shape with the bzr
transition, I'll stop making small fixes in the 'hope it works from a
few manual checks' mode (which I did last night and managed to commit
a huge blunder with for a few minutes).

My next immediate priority will be to put in place a proper testing
system.  We have all the pieces in place, it's just a matter of
assembling them, and it is critically needed so we can land the ip1
code, that does have full testing.

It won't happen right away, because after this recent ipython marathon
I have to pay attention to some local work issues and I have a trip
all next week, but I'll scavenge every moment I can to try and make it
happen.

Regards,