[IPython-user] ipython1.frontend status

Laurent Dufréchou ldufrechou@marport....
Thu Jun 5 01:27:37 CDT 2008

Hello barry,
We want screenshots! ^_^
Don't see if you saw my previous mail but i'm really interested in your work
because of the ipython1 compatibility + remote execution.
Here are two questions:
-Do you support ctrl+c (break in a loop)?
-Do you support in loop stdout?:
I mean:
If (1):
     print "hello"
Does it display lot of hello WHILE executing the loop?
-Do you support completion (althought it is not really important, 'cause
must be easy no?)

If not, do you see any problem to implement this? I ask this because it was
the hardest things i had to implement on my wx frontend.
And I want to be sure before switching ot ipython1 core not to loose these
important features.

By the way, can you explain me difference between 'I wrote a delegate for
the
NSTextView' and subclassing? (sorry)

Laurent

2008/6/5 Barry Wark <barrywark@gmail.com>:

> Hi all,
>
> Following discussion of the last couple days, I thought I'd update
> folks on the status of ipython1.frontend in the ipython1-cocoa branch.
> I've made a first stab at the frontend.frontendbase module and have
> implemented a bare-bones Cocoa frontend for ipython1. I subclassed
> Cocoa's text view widget (well, actually I wrote a delegate for the
> NSTextView, but it could have been done as a subclass) and also
> subclassed frontend.frontendbase.FrontEndBase. Besides the code to
> handle the appropriate events/text layout etc. which are specific to
> Cocoa, my Cocoa frontend required about 200 lines of code. I think
> it's a pretty good start for similar endeavors in Qt or Wx etc.
>
> One issue that's come up is that the deferred result
> ipython1.kernel.engineservice.EngineService.execute has a string
> representation of the block's output (in result['display']['pprint']),
> but there's no way to get the actual python object that generated that
> string. This prevents the frontend from e.g. rendering an image result
> inline. I realize this is because the engine may be remote, but in the
> case of (1) serializeable objects or (2) local engines, it seems that
> we might want to add an option to execute to return the actual result
> as well as its pprint/repr...
>
> Barry

Laurent Dufrechou
Hardware Engineering