[IPython-user] ipython1.frontend status

Johann Cohen-Tanugi cohen@slac.stanford....
Thu Jun 5 01:52:47 CDT 2008

delegation vs subclassing : vast topic! You can google it :) I do not
know about this particular case but typically one uses delegation in
order to protect the client code from inheriting undesired methods of
the parent class. So typically, class A has a private member of type
class B and class A implements methods that calls specific methods of
the private member, so that other undesirable methods of class A remain
hidden (sorry for the C++ vocabulary here). If class A is a natural
particular case of class B, then subclassing is usually more elegant,
because more in synch with conceptual thinking.
hth,
Johann