[IPython-user] Disabling the readline completion "are you sure" and paging

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Fri Jun 20 13:33:03 CDT 2008

On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 2:51 AM, Ville M. Vainio <vivainio@gmail.com> wrote:
> On linux, readline completion queries whether you really want to
> complete when there are many items, and also runs the completion query
> list through pager. I'm starting to feel this is rather annoying, and
> against the typical ipython usage patterns.
>
> You can disable it by doing:
>
> import readline
> readline.parse_and_bind('set completion-query-items 1000')
> readline.parse_and_bind('set page-completions no')
>
> Is there anyone that actually likes the default behaviour? I'm asking
> this because I'd like to change the default behaviour to give a better
> out-of-the-box experience for linux users. If there is someone that
> likes the default behaviour, I'll add these (commented out, of course)
> in template ipy_user_conf.py. Otherwise, I'll add it to
> ipy_defaults.py or ipy_profile_sh.py

Please add them commented out (with a brief explanation of what
uncommenting them changes), but leave the default as is.  I happen to
be very used to it for years and find it very useful.