[IPython-user] Interesting: colored completer

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Mon Jun 23 13:14:39 CDT 2008

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 5:21 AM, Ville M. Vainio <vivainio@gmail.com> wrote:
> Stumbled upon this on planet python:
>
> http://morepypy.blogspot.com/2008/06/pdb-and-rlcompleterng.html
>
> Might be interesting to see if we can smuggle this into ipython.

Looks neat.  His pdb.py implements more or less what we have, it
seems, at least in broad strokes.  The colored completions look very
neat, and I'd be all for grabbing them.  Two questions:

- No license statement.  But since this is part of PyPy, it's probably
just a matter of asking him and I imagine it would be PSF-like
licensed (still, we should ask first).

- His statement about having to patch readline:

    # WARNING: for this option to work properly, you need to patch
readline with this:
    # http://codespeak.net/svn/user/antocuni/hack/readline-escape.patch

I wonder why...

In any case, it does look cool and I'd be all for it.  Ideally,
merging it with our own color handling so that it's unified with the
rest.  We have the notion of color schemes for various backgrounds,
for example, this looks like it was made for a dark terminal from his
screenshot, I don't know how readable it would be on a white
background.