[IPython-user] IPython1 0.3 prerelease

Paul Moore p.f.moore@gmail....
Tue May 13 16:33:45 CDT 2008

2008/5/13 Brian Granger <ellisonbg.net@gmail.com>:
>  Note:  this is a release of IPython1, which is a separate project than
>  regular ipython (which some are now calling "ipython0".  IPython1
>  provides parallel computing capabilties and does require both
>  zope.interface and Twisted.  Sorry about the confusion.

No problem, but I had understood that IPython1 is intended to
ultimately replace ipython0. If that isn't the case, I'd suggest that
the name is misleading :-) If it *is* the case, I'd like to try it
out, but be able to skip the dependencies which relate to features
such as parallel computing that I don't need.

The description on the wiki:

IPython is currently being redesigned from the ground up. This effort
is being called IPython1. The goals of this effort are:

   1. Clean up the existing codebase and write lots of tests.
   2. Separate the core functionality of IPython from the terminal to
enable IPython to be used from within a variety of GUI applications.
   3. Implement a system for interactive parallel computing.

seems to imply that IPython1 will replace IPython. And if it isn't
going to, what are the plans for ipython0 development?

As I said, I don't mind either way, but I'd like the Twisted and
zope.interface dependencies to be optional, as long as features which
need them (which should be documented) are avoided...

Paul.