[IPython-user] ipython / readline & scipy

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Tue May 27 02:00:22 CDT 2008

Hi Cyril,

On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 2:04 AM, Ville M. Vainio <vivainio@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 11:45 AM, cyril giraudon <cyril.giraudon@free.fr> wrote:
>
>> Yesturday, I installed scipy 0.6.0 from sources too.
>> Ipython is broken, seems readline believes it is win32. I reinstalles
>> pyreadline 1.6, always the same message.
>> I don't know whether the scipy installation is the cause.
>
> Remove your pyreadline, it's a windows-only module.

Just to make sure it's 100% clear: you didn't need to install
pyreadline in the first place.  Under Linux, python ships out of the
box with readline support, pyreadline is meant to provide equivalent
functionality to win32 systems.

If there was anything in the docs that led you to think you needed
pyreadline, please let us know so we can correct the confusion.

Regards,