[IPython-user] How to configure some of the colors?

Ville M. Vainio vivainio@gmail....
Fri May 30 04:23:08 CDT 2008

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 11:36 AM, Dick Moores <rdmoores@gmail.com> wrote:

> And I just started Ipython with ipython -p sh  at the command line.
> There's a handy [E:Python25/Scripts]|1> prompt that tells me where I
> am, but the path is in a very bright blue, almost unreadable by me.
> Help!

You can change the prompt in ~/_ipython/ipy_user_conf.py.

In IPython/Extensions/ipy_profile_sh.py, there are the lines that set
the prompts:

    o.prompt_in1= r'\C_LightBlue[\C_LightCyan\Y2\C_LightBlue]\C_Green|\#> '
    o.prompt_in2= r'\C_Green|\C_LightGreen\D\C_Green> '
    o.prompt_out= '<\#> '

Just copy those lines to ipy_user_conf.py, and customize the colors to
your liking.

It may be that your ipy_user_conf.py has those lines already (if you
have a fresh install, or you ran %upgrade).

When you come up with a nice set of colors, send the prompt lines back
to list so I can add them to the template ipy_user_conf.py :-)