[IPython-user] Persistent debugger breakpoints

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Sat May 31 21:26:11 CDT 2008

Hi Tony,

On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 11:06 PM, Tony Mannucci
<Anthony.J.Mannucci@jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:
> Is there any way to achieve persistent debugger breakpoints with
> ipython? I frequently start a program as so:
>
> run -i -d program.py
>
> and I might set breakpoints manually in the program. When the program
> exits, all those breakpoints are lost and must be re-set on the next
> invocation. I have not figured out a way to do that from the run
> command unless the breakpoint is in program.py. If the breakpoint is
> in program.py, I can use the -b flag in the run command. If it's in
> another file, I can't set the breakpoint.
>
> When the program is re-run, all breakpoints must be re-set manually.
> Is there another way? There does not seem to be a feature to read or
> write log files from the debugger (which could possibly used to help
> with this).
>
> I am using ipython 0.8.2. Thanks!

I'm afraid I don't use pdb enough to answer your question, but at
least I wanted to make sure your mail didn't go fully ignored :)  I
tend to use the debugger much more often in %debug post-mortem mode
than in stepping mode (just a matter of personal habit), so I don't
know if it has an easy API for saving the breakpoints.  If there's a
way to retrieve the status of the breakpoints upon exit, we might be
able to save those, but I'm just not familiar with that API and right
now I'm working on a different part of the project.

But more robust debugging integration is definitely important for us,
so feel free to file a bug report for this as a feature request on
Launchpad.

Regards,