[IPython-user] readline and ipython on Ubuntu Hardy

Sylvain Guiriec sylvain.guiriec@lpta.in2p3...
Sun Nov 9 14:16:21 CST 2008

Hi there,

I tring to install ipython on my "hardy Ubuntu". It seems that I
experiment the same problem that you related in the email I paste to
this message.
I need to compile ipython with my own version of python for
compatibility issues. The installation process seems working fine, but
when I launch ipython, I get the following

warning messages:
*WARNING: Readline services not available on this platform.
**WARNING: The auto-indent feature requires the readline library*

I saw that you solved this problem by "re-building python making sure
the libreadline headers were visible to it". Could you please tell me
the different steps you follow to

make visible the libreadline headers and to recompile python ?

Just to precise, when I install ipython through apt-get, it works
properly without any warning and completion is working fine in
standard shells.

Cheers,

Sylvain

On 3/23/07, vel.accel@gmail.com
<vel.accel@gmail.com

>* I recently installed IPython 0.7.3 on Python-2.5 on (K)ubuntu linux.
*>* From what I understand, pyreadline is only necessary for Windows
platform only.
*>*
*>* Yet, I don't have functionality in IPython, relating to readline,

*>* using "konsole" as my console front-end. I do happen to have
*>* libreadline5, [-dev], and [-common] already installed on my system,
*>* though.
*>*
*>* I get the following message after start-up even though I'm on a
Linux platform:

*>*
*>* WARNING: Readline services not available on this platform.
*>* WARNING: The auto-indent feature requires the readline library
*>* WARNING: Proper color support under MS Windows requires the
pyreadline library.

*>* You can find it at:
*>* http://ipython.scipy.org/moin/PyReadline/Intro
*>* Gary's readline needs the ctypes module, from:

*>* http://starship.python.net/crew/theller/ctypes
*>* (Note that ctypes is already part of Python versions 2.5 and newer).

*>*

*>* Defaulting color scheme to 'NoColor'
*>*
*>* Thanks for your help,
*>* -Dieter
*>*
*
Ok, sorry about the distraction because I solved the problem by

re-building python making sure the libreadline headers were visible to
it.

Thanks,
-Dieter