[IPython-user] readline and ipython on Ubuntu Hardy

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Mon Nov 10 02:11:25 CST 2008

Again, *please* keep your replies on list.  Only that way will they
get archived, and there's a chance others can  help you if I can't.

On Sun, Nov 9, 2008 at 6:38 PM, Sylvain Guiriec
<sylvain.guiriec@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I had already installed this two packages. As I told you, python and ipython
> from my Ubuntu (I mean from apt-get) are working well. The problem is that I
> have to  run my own version of python (and ipython) which is in my home
> directory for compatibility issues with other python scripts. So, according
> to the email I already saw in the ipython-user list, I should perhaps tell
> directly to my python version to use libreadline (recompilation of python
> ?)... But unfornatully I do not know how to do that...

Yes, you need to rebuild python with libreadline5-dev installed.
Chances are when you built your private python, it wasn't installed,
because the python build detects those headers automatically.