[IPython-user] readline and ipython on Ubuntu Hardy

Sylvain Guiriec sylvain.guiriec@gmail....
Mon Nov 10 10:19:53 CST 2008

Again, **please** keep your replies on list.  Only that way will they
get archived, and there's a chance others can  help you if I can't.

On Sun, Nov 9, 2008 at 12:16 PM, Sylvain Guiriec
<sylvain.guiriec@lpta.in2p3.fr> <sylvain.guiriec@lpta.in2p3.fr> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I tring to install ipython on my "hardy Ubuntu". It seems that I experiment
> the same problem that you related in the email I paste to this message.
> I need to compile ipython with my own version of python for compatibility
> issues. The installation process seems working fine, but when I launch
> ipython, I get the following
>

> warning messages:
> WARNING: Readline services not available on this platform.
> WARNING: The auto-indent feature requires the readline library
>
> I saw that you solved this problem by "re-building python making sure the
> libreadline headers were visible to it". Could you please tell me the
> different steps you follow to

sudo apt-get install python-dev

On Sun, Nov 9, 2008 at 12:34 PM, Fernando Perez <fperez.net@gmail.com>
<fperez.net@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 9, 2008 at 12:16 PM, Sylvain Guiriec
> <sylvain.guiriec@lpta.in2p3.fr> <sylvain.guiriec@lpta.in2p3.fr> wrote:

>> I saw that you solved this problem by "re-building python making sure the
>> libreadline headers were visible to it". Could you please tell me the
>> different steps you follow to

> sudo apt-get install python-dev

Oops, wrong -dev package, sorry.  The call  should read:

sudo apt-get install python-dev libreadline5-dev

Regards,

On Sun, Nov 9, 2008 at 6:38 PM, Sylvain Guiriec
<sylvain.guiriec@gmail.com> <sylvain.guiriec@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I had already installed these two packages. As I told you, python and ipython
> from my Ubuntu (I mean from apt-get) are working well. The problem is that I
> have to  run my own version of python (and ipython) which is in my home
> directory for compatibility issues with other python scripts. So, according
> to the email I already saw in the ipython-user list, I should perhaps tell
> directly to my python version to use libreadline (recompilation of python
> ?)... But unfornatully I do not know how to do that...

|Yes, you need to rebuild python with libreadline5-dev installed.
|Chances are when you built your private python, it wasn't installed,
|because the python build detects those headers automatically.
|
|Cheers,

(Again, **please** keep your replies on list)=>hope it is ok now

But how to tell to my python version to look for libreadline5 ? Have I
to set up some variables for that ? (what is the usual way to install
python manualy ?)

Cheers,

Sylvain