[IPython-user] readline and ipython on Ubuntu Hardy

Sylvain Guiriec sylvain.guiriec@gmail....
Mon Nov 10 12:30:10 CST 2008

(Again, **please** keep your replies on list)=>hope it is ok now

But how to tell to my python version to look for libreadline5 ? Have I
to set up some variables for that ? (what is the usual way to install
python manualy ?)

Cheers,

Sylvain

|Again, **please** keep your replies on list.  Only that way will they
|get archived, and there's a chance others can  help you if I can't.

On Sun, Nov 9, 2008 at 6:38 PM, Sylvain Guiriec
<sylvain.guiriec@gmail.com> <sylvain.guiriec@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I had already installed this two packages. As I told you, python and ipython
> from my Ubuntu (I mean from apt-get) are working well. The problem is that I
> have to  run my own version of python (and ipython) which is in my home
> directory for compatibility issues with other python scripts. So, according
> to the email I already saw in the ipython-user list, I should perhaps tell
> directly to my python version to use libreadline (recompilation of python
> ?)... But unfornatully I do not know how to do that...

|Yes, you need to rebuild python with libreadline5-dev installed.
|Chances are when you built your private python, it wasn't installed,
|because the python build detects those headers automatically.

|Cheers,

On Sun, Nov 9, 2008 at 12:37 PM, Sylvain Guiriec
<sylvain.guiriec@gmail.com> <sylvain.guiriec@gmail.com> wrote:

> python-dev is already installed. In fact, Ipython is working perfectly from
> my ubuntu system, but I have to use an other version of python that one
> which is already installed...

|See my other email, it was the libreadline5-dev that I meant.
|
|And please always keep your replies on-list, for archival purposes.
|
|Regards,

|Oops, wrong -dev package, sorry.  The call  should read:
|
|sudo apt-get install python-dev libreadline5-dev
|
|Regards,

|sudo apt-get install python-dev
|
|Cheers,