[IPython-user] readline and ipython on Ubuntu Hardy

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Mon Nov 10 12:36:01 CST 2008

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 8:19 AM, Sylvain Guiriec
<sylvain.guiriec@gmail.com> wrote:

> But how to tell to my python version to look for libreadline5 ? Have I to
> set up some variables for that ? (what is the usual way to install python
> manualy ?)

You said you had a manually built python.  As long as libreadline5-dev
is installed when you build python, the python build process
automatically finds readline.  So basically the steps are:

sudo apt-get install libreadline5-dev

download/unpack python sources
cd to python source directory

./configure --prefix=~/usr  # or wherever you want your local copy
make
make install

# check that when you type 'python' you get the one in ~/usr/bin/python

cd to ipython download directory
python setup.py install --prefix=~/usr

As long as your PATH, PYTHONPATH and other variables are correctly
setup to use ~/usr as a valid prefix, the above steps work.

If you need help building python for the first time, I'm afraid you'll
need to ask for some support on the general python users group, as
unfortunately I don't have the time right now to provide detailed
assistance with that process.

Regards,