[IPython-user] Ipython and Jython 2.50b

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Thu Nov 13 11:50:21 CST 2008

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 6:36 AM, Ondrej Certik <ondrej@certik.cz> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 8:56 PM, Fernando Perez <fperez.net@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Once you get readline working, you may need to work aroun
>> sys._getframe, which I think is also missing from Jython (I could be
>> wrong) and is used in a lot of places:
>
> Well, I think you are wrong. :)
>
> $ jython
> Jython 2.5a3+ (unknown:exported, Nov 12 2008, 11:38:34)
> [OpenJDK Server VM (Sun Microsystems Inc.)] on java1.6.0_0
> <bound method systemstate._getframe of <module 'sys' (built-in)>>

This is *great*.  When we looked at it, I'm pretty sure _getframe
wasn't available, but Jython has made enormous progress recently.  I'm
very, very happy to see this going in, because I remember at the time
we thought _getframe was going to be the real headache.  Readline was
problematic but it was clear it was being worked on and would
eventually work, but _getframe, being a semi-private API, was the
source of real concern.

Sometimes, just waiting a bit really does pay off :)

Thanks for the great news.  On to jipython!!!