[IPython-user] cd doesn't work on Windows

Jörgen Stenarson jorgen.stenarson@bostream...
Sat Nov 15 04:18:18 CST 2008

Elias

I have never had a similar problem and I use ipython on windows xp just
as you do.

Have you done any changes to the configuration files for ipython?

at the ipython prompt can you try
 >>> import glob
 >>> glob.glob("*")

The result of this should contain the contents of the directory you are
in and not c:\. If this is the case then the alias for ls is somehow
broken on your machine or cd is not working properly.

If you do %alias at the ipython prompt what do you see? I get:

[('cls', 'cls'),
  ('copy', 'copy'),
  ('echo', 'echo'),
  ('mkdir', 'mkdir'),
  ('ren', 'ren'),
  ('rmdir', 'rmdir'),
  ('ddir', 'dir /ad /on'),
  ('ldir', 'dir /ad /on'),
  ('ls', 'dir /on')]

you could also try !dir, placing ! at the start of the line executes the
rest of the line as a shell command, which should give you the contents
of your current directory and not c:\.

/Jörgen