[IPython-user] A bag of pythons on OS X leopard; Is a house cleaning in order.

charles reid charlesreid1@gmail....
Tue Oct 7 23:45:09 CDT 2008

Hi Gary -

I've had some mixed success with various Pythons on my system (also running
OS X Leopard, 10.5.5).  I ended up using the Mac's system Python, for two
reasons:
1) It comes with the Mac for a reason - the system uses this Python for
various tasks, and getting rid of it can screw things up
2) I don't have a particular need for 2.5 vs. 2.6, as I'm not really a
power-user (I mainly use Python to use iPython with Numpy and Scipy)

I've got a brief writeup on my personal solution here:

http://charles.endoftheinternet.org/index.php?page=mac&sub=python

Basically, I ended up using a few bits from MacPython to supplement the
system Python (but not to replace it).  I then used the SciPy superpack (
http://macinscience.org/?page_id=6), which is a really handy script for
installing iPython with Numpy, Scipy, and Matplotlib.

I don't know what your specific usage of iPython is, but hopefully this info
will help you out.  It certainly took me a good chunk of time to get it all
worked out.

Charles

Out of damp and gloomy days, out of solitude, out of loveless words directed
at us, conclusions grow up in us like fungus: one morning they are there, we
know not how, and they gaze upon us, morose and gray. Woe to the thinker who
is not the gardener but only the soil of the plants that grow in him.
- Friedrich Nietzsche