[IPython-user] A bag of pythons on OS X leopard; Is a house cleaning in order.

Robin robince@gmail....
Wed Oct 8 03:01:44 CDT 2008

Hi,

I am in a similar situation - and generally I don't think you can
avoid having several copies.

I believe from earlier discussions on this list it is very much not
recommended to use the system python for your numpy stuff. This is
because the Apple system python comes with it's own very old version
of numpy. Replacing this might have consequences for other Apple
stuff, and also other third party apps that assume the standard setup.
In general, one shouldn't mess about with anything in /System since
that is part of the standard distribution.

I use MacPorts rather than Fink - but I have the same thing of having
a python installed through that when I installed a python application.
I even have numpy installed through that - again an older version -
that was pulled in as a depenency. I wanted to try and trick the
macports system to accepting my SVN numpy, but again it seems this is
very much not recommended so the dependencies in the macports system
are standard. This is installed in /opt/local/Library/Frameworks with
symlinks for the python executable in /opt/local/bin. I tihnk with
fink the prefix is /sw so this is the version you are picking up at
the moment.

So I have python.org Python installation for my own use. This installs
in /Library/Frameworks with symlinks in /usr/local/bin. I have
setuptools installed in this version, so easy_install installs things
here.

On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 3:11 AM, Gary Church <gary.church1@comcast.net> wrote:
> 1. How do I get python 2.6 to come up when I enter "python" at the
> terminal command line?

I think you are picking up the fink python. Type
which python
to be sure.
Changing the path should be enough. The Python.org 2.5 package
installed in /usr/local/bin so I assume the 2.6 does the same. You
need to make sure this comes before /sw/bin in your path.
I think putting
export PATH=/usr/local/bin:$PATH
at the end of your .bashrc will do it. Maybe also put
source ~/.bashrc
in your .bash_profile
(I'm not sure of the correct way - always find the rc/profile
distinction a bit confusing).

> 2. Should I "clean house" of all other pythons on the system and if
> so, how is that done?

I don't think so - I don't think it does any harm to have several and
reduces the chance of  problems with the different components.

> 3. Do these other pythons interfere with each other in some way? Is it
> a problem having all these pythons slithering around on my system?

No - as long as you are always using the one you expect, and other
things are using the one they expect. Fink python apps should look
directly for the Fink version, but not all may, so it's something to
keep in mind.