[IPython-user] A bag of pythons on OS X leopard; Is a house cleaning in order.

Barry Wark barrywark@gmail....
Wed Oct 8 11:55:50 CDT 2008

On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 1:01 AM, Robin <robince@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am in a similar situation - and generally I don't think you can
> avoid having several copies.
>
> I believe from earlier discussions on this list it is very much not
> recommended to use the system python for your numpy stuff. This is
> because the Apple system python comes with it's own very old version
> of numpy. Replacing this might have consequences for other Apple
> stuff, and also other third party apps that assume the standard setup.
> In general, one shouldn't mess about with anything in /System since
> that is part of the standard distribution.

Not true. The system python, by default, will put its version of numpy
first on the python path (to protect Apple-installed tools that depend
on numpy). The system python comes with setuptools, however, for a
reason. If you use setuptools to install a more recent version of
numpy, setuptools will take care of putting the new version of numpy
first on the python path while allowing Apple-installed tools to
continue to use the version that shipped with Leopard.

So the general rule is: use setuptools and things will "just work".