[IPython-user] ipython problem on OS X leopard: non-responsive "u" key.

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Wed Oct 8 14:58:15 CDT 2008

Barry Wark wrote:

> I know you've gotten a lot of conflicting advice about which python
> distribution to use. Just for completeness, let me add my 2 cents and
> take it as you will: unless you have need for python 2.6 (keeping in
> mind that neither IPython nor NumPy/SciPy officially support 2.6 yet),
> stick with the system-installed python on Leopard and delete all of
> the other distributions. Use setuptools to install packages and there
> won't be any conflicts between system tools and your newly installed
> packages (you can use distutils as well, but the newly installed
> packages will be placed _after_ the system-installed packages on the
> python path). This is the Apple-sanctioned and blessed way to do
> Python on OS X.

Unfortunately, "just use setuptools" is not feasible for some packages, like wx.
And as someone asked on the other thread, what happens when Apple's tools try to
import numpy? Do they get the version they are expecting, or do they get your
newer, possibly incompatible version?

> As a benefit of using the system python, you gain
> Dtrace support in the python interpreter (without applying a patch and
> recompiling the python distribution yourself). You can then use
> Apple's Instruments application (or dtrace at the command line) to
> profile and trace executing python code. It's very cool.

I'd be interested in seeing an example of this. AFAICT, Instruments does not use
the Python utrace() helper and my attempts to use utrace() with raw dtrace have
met with segfaults.

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."