[IPython-user] debugging in ipython

Tom K. tpk@kraussfamily....
Thu Oct 16 09:19:12 CDT 2008

Hi folks,

I haven't posted here before so let me start by saying "THANK YOU" to
all the contributors active on this discussion group who have made
ipython such a great numerical tool.  Also congratulations on the big
release last month, looks like excellent progress.

I had a question about debugging in ipython [sorry if this is a "FAQ"
- if there is a way to search the archives, please let me know]:

When I use "pdb" I lose some of the key ipython features; tab
completion and syntax coloration are the ones I miss the most.  Is
there another debug module besides pdb, or a way to configure / run
the debugger within ipython, in order to get these features
functional at the pdb prompt?

I am using 0.8.4 under Python 2.4.2 but looking at the release notes
on the subsequent versions of IPython the other night I did not see
anything about debugging mentioned there.  I enter the debugger as
follows:

 >>> import pdb
 >>> objectInstance = ... create an object ...
 >>> pdb.run('objectInstance.method()', globals(), locals())

Thanks,
   Tom K.