[IPython-user] OS X Terminal iPython history display bug

Lawrence Johnston unussum@gmail....
Wed Oct 22 14:38:27 CDT 2008

This is only in IPython. Neither bash nor python exhibits this
behavior (I just checked). `echo $COLUMNS` returns 80, which is the
proper size.

With a bit of further research, it seems to be related to the
difference in length between the IPython prompt (e.g. "In [19]: ") and
my terminal prompt, which is the default
"My-very-long-indeed-computer-name:~/MyCurrentDirectory $"

Basically, I've found that I don't have to even wrap the line in
IPython, I only have to write a line of a length that would wrap if I
had been using the really long terminal prompt before the weird
behavior starts exhibiting itself (e.g. if my prompt is 20 chars and
my window is 80, I only have to write a line of 61+ characters in
length before weird stuff starts happening.

Maybe I need to post some pictures, it's difficult to describe.

Is there a place where I should be filing this as a bug?

-L