[IPython-user] reaload after from MODULE import *, and reloading nested modules

Maximilian Fabricius mxhf@gmx....
Fri Oct 24 04:00:14 CDT 2008

Hello all,

I apologize if this has been addressed before.

I am a quite happy user of iPython. Though, I encountered two issues
concerning reloads which have been causing a bit of trouble:

I have a little standard library called "mfutils" which I use quite
often. So typically the first thing I do after starting ipython is

from mfutils import *

now, since I use it often I also modify it often and would need to
reload it. But a "reload mfutils" does not reload the module. Actually
since I ever did a "import  mfutils" before, "reload mfutils" even
complains that is does not know what "mfutils" is.

Is there an equivalent command to "reload" that would reload all
contents of mfutils?

Secondly, I recognized that "reload XYZ" would not reload the modules
that are imported within XYZ. When working on code which consists of
several modules this can lead to quite unexpected results. Is there a
super-deep reload that would reload those as well?

Regards,

Maximilian

  Maximilian Fabricius
  * Max Planck Institute for Extraterrestrial Physics (MPE)
     Giessenbachstrasse, D-85748 Garching, Germany
  * University Observatory Munich /   Wendelstein Observatory
     Scheinerstr. 1, D-81679 München, Germany
  eMail:  mxhf@mpe.mpg.de
  Phone:  +49 89 30000 3694
  FAX:    +49 89 30000 3495