[IPython-user] ipython 0.9 ipengine launch question

Brian Granger ellisonbg.net@gmail....
Wed Sep 3 15:20:08 CDT 2008

Brant,

I do want to try to understand what is going on here.

> I'm using ipython 0.9 to run fairly standard commands (.push, .pull,
> .execute, etc) on ipengine/ipcontroller clusters, and I've been trying
> to get the -f flag working properly.  My clusterfile.py script looks
> like:
>
> controller = {'host':'kakahiaka',
>                  }
>
> engines = {'kakahiaka':4,
>
>               }
>
> sshx = '/mnt/py_util/sshx'
>

> and sshx reads:
> #!/bin/sh
> NUMPROCS=$(cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep -e "processor[[:space:]]:" | wc -l)
> export NUMPROCS
> export PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin:$HOME/multiz:.
> export PYTHONPATH=/mnt/py_util
> "$@"
>
> In addition, I had to change line 306 of ipcluster.py from
> cmd = "ssh %s '%s' 'ipengine --controller-ip %s --logfile %s' &" % \
> (engineHost,sshx,contHost,engLog)
> to:
> cmd = "ssh %s '%s' 'ipengine --logfile %s' &" % (engineHost,sshx,engLog)
> since the new version of ipengine uses foolscap urls instead of
> straight hostnames.

Yep, this is a bug in ipcluster.py.  I will work on fixing this today.

> Everything seems to come up fine for the -f run mode, and I can run
> for about 5-10min, before something hiccups, and I get the following
> errors:
> in the logfile:
> 2008/08/27 14:33 -0700 [-] unregistered engine with id: 0
>
> in my stderr buffer:
> [Engine Exception]ConnectionLost: Connection to the other side was
> lost in a non-clean fashion.
>
> and thrown on the local console:
> Fatal Python error: PyEval_RestoreThread: NULL tstate
> Aborted

Wow, this is really wierd, especially because we don't really use
threads.  Hmmm.  Can you give more information?

Are you using threads in any way?
Can you produce cod that triggers this?
Which stderr buffer shows that EngineException?
Python version?
OS and platform?

Let's see if we can get to the bottom of this...

Brian