[IPython-user] ipython 0.9.rc1: problem with example from the manual during import, using MultiEngineClient

mark starnes m.starnes05@imperial.ac...
Fri Sep 5 03:59:28 CDT 2008

Hi everyone, sorry if this is a duplicate post; the original appeared,
on my machine, under another thread.  Sorry for that.

I'm following the instructions in the Aug 29 2008 manual for parallel
computing, and have been having some problems; reading back through the
posts, I've noticed nothing to help (please, correct me if I'm wrong!).

If I start my cluster with:

$ ipcluster -n 4 &

Then, with IPython, 0.9.rc1:

In [1]: from IPython.kernel import client

In [2]: tc = client.TaskClient()

I get:

... traceback information....

ValueError: not a furl or a file containing a furl:
/home/m.starnes/.ipython/ipcontroller-tc.furl

If I follow the instructions printed by the shell during cluster startup:

In [1]: from ipython1.kernel import client   # Differs from the manual

In [2]: mec = client.MultiEngineClient(('127.0.0.1',10105)) # Differs.

All seems well.  The same occurs when I follow the 'Quickstart Task
Farming' section:

In [3]: tc = client.TaskClient(('127.0.0.1',10105))

is fine, but

In [3]: tc = client.TaskClient()  # as per the manual.

returns:

TypeError: TaskClient() takes exactly 1 argument (0 given)

I'm wondering, have I made a mistake with my installation?

Best regards,

Mark.