[IPython-user] ipython 0.9.rc1: problem with example from the manual during import, using MultiEngineClient

Brian Granger ellisonbg.net@gmail....
Fri Sep 5 16:40:55 CDT 2008

> Hi everyone, sorry if this is a duplicate post; the original appeared,
> on my machine, under another thread.  Sorry for that.
>
> I'm following the instructions in the Aug 29 2008 manual for parallel
> computing, and have been having some problems; reading back through the
> posts, I've noticed nothing to help (please, correct me if I'm wrong!).

Sorry about the delay and the confusing docs.  I am working on
updating them for the 0.9 release.  Hopefully that will help

> If I start my cluster with:
>
> $ ipcluster -n 4 &
>
> Then, with IPython, 0.9.rc1:
>
> In [1]: from IPython.kernel import client
>
> In [2]: tc = client.TaskClient()
>
> I get:
>
> ... traceback information....
>
> ValueError: not a furl or a file containing a furl:
> /home/m.starnes/.ipython/ipcontroller-tc.furl

This should work.  Can you tell me more about your setup?  OS?
Platform?  Can you show what is in you ~/.ipython or _ipython
directory?

> If I follow the instructions printed by the shell during cluster startup:
>
> In [1]: from ipython1.kernel import client   # Differs from the manual
>
> In [2]: mec = client.MultiEngineClient(('127.0.0.1',10105)) # Differs.
>
> All seems well.  The same occurs when I follow the 'Quickstart Task
> Farming' section:
>
> In [3]: tc = client.TaskClient(('127.0.0.1',10105))

It this works, then you have:

1.  Either both ipython1 and IPython 0.9 installed

or

2.  Just IPython 0.9 installed

I would remove ipython1 and IPython 0.9 and do a reinstall of _just_
0.9 and try again.  Also, in 0.9, you don't need to provide (and
can't) the ip and port.  The two options are:

client.TaskClient("path to a furl file")
client.TaskClient()   # empty - look for the default furl flie.

But...there are a few bugs that are in the process of being fixed (we
have fixed them, but the fixes aren't in the release candidate or
trunk yet).

But, this should work.  Why don't you clean up your install and give
it a try again.

Cheers,

Brian