[IPython-user] ipython 0.9.rc1: problem with example from the manual during import, using MultiEngineClient

mark starnes m.starnes05@imperial.ac...
Sat Sep 6 15:46:43 CDT 2008

Hi Brian, thanks for replying.  No need to apologise, I appreciate
having access to the software, at all!

My setup is:  Access from single core, Intel chip, 32 bit Suse 10.2, to
64 bit Suse10.3 running on a quad core Intel chip, via '$ ssh -X'.
Also, when I execute, '$ python setup.py', I get:

BUILDING IPYTHON
                python: 2.5.1 (r251:54863, Sep 21 2007, 22:46:31)  [GCC
                        4.2.1 (SUSE Linux)]
              platform: linux2

OPTIONAL DEPENDENCIES
        Zope.Interface: yes
               Twisted: 8.1.0
              Foolscap: 0.3.0
               OpenSSL: Not found (required if you want security in the
                        parallel computing capabilities)
                sphinx: Not found (required for building documentation)
              pygments: Not found (required for syntax highlighting
                        documentation)
                  nose: Not found (required for running the test suite)
               pexpect: no (required for running standalone doctests)

My ~/.ipython directory (on the quad) contains:

db                 ipythonrc-math     ipythonrc-tutorial
history            ipythonrc-numeric  ipy_user_conf.py
__init__.py        ipythonrc-physics  ipy_user_conf.pyc
ipy_profile_sh.py  ipythonrc-pysh     ipy_user_conf.py.original
ipythonrc          ipythonrc-scipy    log

Um, now for the embarrassing part.  I don't know how to uninstall the
packages!  I made a bit of a mess while installing, using easy_install
to install ipython-0.9.rc1 (and get ipcluster functionality), YAST
(Suse's package manager) to uninstall 0.8.1 (which failed; 0.8.1 was
still reported on running $ ipython) and finally adjusting PYTHONPATH
until calling $ ipython resulted in :

------------------------------
Python 2.5.1 (r251:54863, Sep 21 2007, 22:46:31)

IPython 0.9.rc1 -- An enhanced Interactive Python.
?         -> Introduction and overview of IPython's features.
%quickref -> Quick reference.
help      -> Python's own help system.
object?   -> Details about 'object'. ?object also works, ?? prints more.

In [1]:

So, should I start by finding all my ipython directories and deleting
them?  Seems a bit crude.....

Thanks for your patience,

Mark.