[IPython-user] ipython 0.9.rc1: problem with example from the manual during import, using MultiEngineClient

mark starnes m.starnes05@imperial.ac...
Tue Sep 9 04:59:19 CDT 2008

Hi everyone.  An update (in case someone else experiences something similar).

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t338779-why-no-python-setuppy-uninstall.html
suggests it's a case of deleting the dir's in site-packages.  Did so.

$ find -name 'site-packages' gives

./usr/lib64/python2.5/site-packages
./usr/local/lib64/python2.5/site-packages

No IPython in lib64.  Is is local/lib64.  ipython0.9 and 0.3.  Moved both to 'deleted'.

Also, 'ipython' found in /usr/local/bin.  Moved to 'deleted'.  Other related
files here were left, including ipengine, ipcontroller etc.

Now, I get,

m.starnes@quad:/usr/local/bin> ipython
-bash: /usr/local/bin/ipython: No such file or directory

Fresh installation:

Download using bzr:
$ bzr branch lp:ipython
Read basic instructions.
Read advanced instructions.
Realise advanced instructions point to different files from those of the basic
instructions.

Advanced says,
$ bzr branch lp:///~ipython/ipython/ipython1-dev

Think, 'was advised not to install ipython1'.

So, ignored advanced instructions.  Following 'basic' instructions, in the new
ipython directory created by bzr

$ python setup.py install

as root.

Now, calling $ ipcluster -n 4

results in a new message:
Your cluster is up and running.

For interactive use, you can make a MultiEngineClient with:

from IPython.kernel import client
mec = client.MultiEngineClient()

and trying this, works.

I'll continue with this new installation.  So far, the engines execute code sent to them with, 'mec.execute',
but seem to hang when the code is 'import xxxxx'.

Best regards,

Mark.