[IPython-user] custom tab completer and pipes

chadrik chadrik@gmail....
Tue Sep 9 17:50:12 CDT 2008

hi all,
i'm creating a custom ipython setup for Maya, a 3d animation program. part
of this involves creating a tab completer for DAG paths, which are
hierarchical structures like directories, but which use a pipe "|" as a
separator instead of a slash:

|root|group|object

the problem is that if my completer returns a string with a pipe in it, the
completer mechanism ignores it.

so, my question is, can i disable ipython's default overloading of pipes so
that my completer and other special methods can use them?

thanks,
chad