[IPython-user] ipython and python 2.6, 3.0

Brian Granger ellisonbg.net@gmail....
Thu Sep 11 17:19:32 CDT 2008

> I was wondering if, or when, ipython will work with python 2.6 or 3.0.  Is
> v3.0 going to take a long time (~years) for the python world to move to?

2.6 shouldn't be too bad.  We will probably begin the 2.6 transition
until after 2.6 is out.  At that point, I imagine it might take a
month or so - partially because IPython has dependencies that will
also have to make the transition.

3.0 is another story.   Short answer: we haven't thought about it yet.
 Long answer - because we do have dependencies, we might be somewhat
slow on this front, simply because we have to wait for these other
projects to move to 3.0 first.  But, because so many people use
IPython, we do want to make the transition as fast as possible.

The most annoying thing is that like most projects, we will probably
have to have separate 2.4-2.6 and >3.0 branches of the project for
quite a while.  This will be annoying as hell for all involved.

Hope that helps,

Cheers,

Brian