[IPython-user] Anyone using ipython.el?

Stefan Schwarzburg stefan.schwarzburg@googlemail....
Fri Sep 12 08:08:23 CDT 2008

Hi

2008/9/12 Rohan Nicholls <rohan.nicholls@googlemail.com>

> Hi Stefan,
>
> Can you post your settings?  And are you using python-mode
> or the python.el that comes with emacs?

python-mode

Sure, my settings are these:

;; Python-Mode
(require 'ipython)
;; up and down the history:
(require 'comint)
         (define-key comint-mode-map [(meta up)]
           'comint-previous-matching-input-from-input)
         (define-key comint-mode-map [(meta down)]
           'comint-next-matching-input-from-input)
         (define-key comint-mode-map [(control meta up)]
            'comint-next-input)
         (define-key comint-mode-map [(control meta down)]
            'comint-previous-input)

;; setup python mode
(setq auto-mode-alist ; trigger python mode automatically
      (cons '("\\.py$" . python-mode) auto-mode-alist))
(autoload 'python-mode "python-mode" "Python editing mode." t)
; add my customization
(add-hook 'python-mode-hook 'my-python-hook)
; this gets called by outline to deteremine the level. Just use the length
of the whitespace
(defun py-outline-level ()
  (let (buffer-invisibility-spec)
    (save-excursion
      (skip-chars-forward "\t ")
      (current-column))))
; this gets called after python mode is enabled
(defun my-python-hook ()
  ; outline uses this regexp to find headers. I match lines with no indent
and indented "class"
  ; and "def" lines.
  (setq outline-regexp "[^ \t]\\|[ \t]*\\(def\\|class\\) ")
  ; enable our level computation
  (setq outline-level 'py-outline-level)
  ; do not use their \C-c@ prefix, too hard to type. Note this overides some
python mode bindings
  (setq outline-minor-mode-prefix "\C-c")
  ; turn on outline mode
  (outline-minor-mode t)
  ; initially hide all but the headers
  (hide-body)
  ; I use CUA mode on the PC so I rebind these to make the more accessible
  (local-set-key [?\C-\t] 'py-shift-region-right)
  (local-set-key [?\C-\S-\t] 'py-shift-region-left)
  ; make paren matches visible
  (show-paren-mode 1)
)

> Okay, so you have an even older version than I do, so I will
> have to assume you are using the old python-mode package.
>
> Btw. just so everyone knows the python.el package has some
> nice features, including completion, but not with context.
>
> So you could get completions for wx.richtext....
> And unfortunately the completion does not work when in the
> interpreter, which is really where you need it.
>
> I am also using emacs-snapshot (23.x).
>
> Thanks for the info.  I will have to look into this more.

:-)

Cheers,
Stefan