[IPython-user] IPython.kernel.client.Task is not present!

Brian Granger ellisonbg.net@gmail....
Fri Sep 12 11:14:30 CDT 2008

Mark,

I am in the process of finishing updating the docs.  When they are
done, I will let you know.  I would love to get feedback from you on
this.  I am hopeful that the new docs will answer all of your
questions.

Cheers,

Brian

On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 1:01 AM, mark starnes
<m.starnes05@imperial.ac.uk> wrote:
> Brian,
>
> That's great.  Thanks!
>
> BR,
>
> Mark.
>
> Brian Granger wrote:
>> This might be useful:
>>
>> http://ipython.scipy.org/doc/manual/html/changes.html
>>
>> It is the part of our documentation that lists all the changes made in
>> IPython.  From one of the sections in it:
>>
>> The notion of a task has been completely reworked. An ITask interface
>> has been created. This interface defines the methods that tasks need
>> to implement. These methods are now responsible for things like
>> submitting tasks and processing results. There are two basic task
>> types: IPython.kernel.task.StringTask (this is the old Task object,
>> but renamed) and the new IPython.kernel.task.MapTask, which is based
>> on a function.
>>
>> Hope that helps.
>>
>> Brian
>>
>> On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 1:59 PM, mark starnes
>> <m.starnes05@imperial.ac.uk> wrote:
>>> Hi everyone, silly question so please be patient!
>>>
>>> Following the IPython documentation, an example for task farming is present on page '104'.
>>> It reads:
>>>
>>> QuickStart Task Farming
>>> First, a quick example of how to start running the most basic Tasks. The first step is to import the IPython
>>> client module and then create a TaskClient instance:
>>> In [1]: from IPython.kernel import client
>>> In [2]: tc = client.TaskClient()
>>> Then the user wrap the commands the user want to run in Tasks:
>>> In [3]: tasklist = []
>>> In [4]: for n in range(1000):
>>>      ...        tasklist.append(client.Task("a = %i"%n, pull="a"))
>>>

>>> but when I try the last line, client.Task does not exist.  Checking client's contents:
>>>
>>> In [5]: dir(client)
>>> Out[5]: