[IPython-user] Idioms for using custom profiles

Matthew Turk matthewturk@gmail....
Sat Sep 13 16:56:19 CDT 2008

Hi there,

I'm the maintainer of a Python package for data analysis.  We've
started work on an IPython profile for the package, with a number of
convenience functions and so on.  Over the next while, we intend to
change the 'official' means of interactive data analysis to IPython
exclusively.  To that end, I see there being two different means of
entering IPython with our profile.

The first is to run on the command line:

ipython -pylab -p our_profile_name

and the other is via a script that instantiates
IPython.Shell.IPShellMatplotlib and calls the mainloop.

However, it's not clear to me how to also tell it to use the profile
we supply.  Furthermore, I'm not sure what the correct idiom for
installing a 'system-wide' custom profile would be.  I have no
objection to encouraging/forcing users to use the second method, via
some special script that gets installed into bin, but I'm not sure
what I would have to pass back and forth between the profile (and the
code it executes) and the instance of IPShellMatplotlib.

Any suggestions?  How do other packages provide custom profiles to their users?

Thanks!

-Matt