[IPython-user] Tab completion question

Thomas Heller theller@ctypes....
Tue Apr 7 13:21:19 CDT 2009

Andrea Riciputi schrieb:
> Hi Thomas,
> thanks for your hints they definetively work.
>
> However I'd prefer not to patch IPython source code in order to get
> case-insensitive tab completion. I'm wondering if there a way to get
> it just setting readline in a proper manner.

Well, you could create a subclass of rlcompleter.Completer, override
the methods in question, and install that into readline.

import rlcompleter
import readline
class MyCompleter(rlcompleter.Completer):
    def global_matches(self, text):
    def attr_matches(self, text):

import readline
readline.set_completer(MyCompleter().complete)

> If this is not the case,
> it would be nice if IPython itself could be patched to make users able
> to set this case-insensiteveness by means of the regular config file.
> Comments or further suggestions are always appreciated?

This is a question for the IPython developers - where are they?

Thanks,
Thomas