[IPython-user] embedding an ipython session in a gtk gui application

davide lasagna lasagnadavide@gmail....
Fri Apr 10 17:20:44 CDT 2009

Hi all,
I'm currently writing a gtk application with python and glade, which
basically consists in a gtk.Treeview contaning the names of a list of files
and other informations about them. I want to plot the data in these files
(with matplotlib) and  I would like to embed a terminal in the gui in which
i could start an ipython session to have more control for this kind of
plotting. In the ipython session i must have access to the gtk.Treeview data
structure, that is, it has to be in the output of the who magic command.
I initially used the code of accerciser as suggested in this page:
http://ipython.scipy.org/moin/Cookbook/EmbeddingInGTK
In this way i can have access to the widgets of the gui from the ipython
session , but the code is buggy and i would prefer to have ipython running
in a  "true" terminal. So i thought that i could embed a vte terminal in my
gui, but now i have the problem of accessing the widgets of my gui from the
ipython session.

I attach an example of the code i'm writing, so that you can understand
better what i mean. You have to have installed the python-vte package.

Thanks for any help you can provide me.