[IPython-user] Parallel w/ scikits.timeseries dates

Robert Ferrell ferrell@diablotech....
Thu Dec 10 08:04:48 CST 2009

On Dec 9, 2009, at 4:56 PM, David Warde-Farley wrote:

> On 9-Dec-09, at 5:33 PM, Robert Ferrell wrote:
>
>> I want to do a task parallel computation for each date in a
>> timeseries.DateArray.  My naive attempt produces:
>>
>> 	PicklingError: Can't pickle <type 'timeseries.Date'>: import of
>> module timeseries failed
>

> You might try asking on the SciPy-user list, I know the developers
> of scikits.timeseries answer a lot of questions there, and if this
> is the case then it'll affect all modes of parallelism (the
> multiprocessing module, for example) and not just IPython's (and I
> really hope they have a solution for parallel processing -- it's not
> even clear to me why a Date object shouldn't be picklable).
>
> Best,
>
> David

I'll send a note to SciPy.  I know that pickling has been an issue.
My work around has been to convert dates to strings.  But, when the
objects get complicated that's not so simple.

Now I'm looking for any examples using IPython's parallel capabilities.

-r