[IPython-user] Parallel w/ scikits.timeseries dates

Robert Ferrell ferrell@diablotech....
Thu Dec 10 21:06:56 CST 2009

On Dec 10, 2009, at 3:58 PM, Fernando Perez wrote:

> Hi Robert,
>
> On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 6:43 AM, Robert Ferrell <ferrell@diablotech.com
> > wrote:
>>
>> For closure- on SciPy-User, Pierre pointed out to me that DateArray
>> and TimeSeries objects are picklable.  So this isn't a big an issue
>> as
>> I had thought.  Date instances can be contained in a single-element
>> DateArray, for instance.
>>

> Thanks for the info, but if I understand your report correctly, this
> is still going to be a bit annoying to use.  It seems that single
> scalars (Date instances) pulled out of DateArrays can't be pickled,
> right?  If that's the case, most parallelism systems in python are
> going to trip on timeseries objects, because it' s quite likely that
> at somep point in a computation you may break down an array and try to
> communicate individual scalars (say as the result of a longer
> computation, for example)...  Or did I misunderstand you?
>
> Cheers,

You understood.  Maybe it's more of a problem than I thought.  My
objects have date scalars (Date instances) stashed all over the place.

I'm not sure why Date instances can't be pickled.  Maybe that can be
fixed.

-robert