[IPython-user] Multi-processor access to a large data set

Robert Ferrell ferrell@diablotech....
Thu Dec 17 12:19:00 CST 2009

I'm running on an 8-core, shared memory box.  I'm learning to use
IPython to split the computation tasks over the 8 cores.  The
computations I'm working on at the moment are embarrassingly parallel.

The tasks all need read-only access to a large-ish data set (~ 1GB).
I don't want to replicate this data set 8 times.  How do I give each
engine read-only access.

I found this thread, http://mail.scipy.org/pipermail/ipython-user/2008-March/005187.html
, which makes me think this isn't possible.  OTOH, it seems like a
common requirement.

Thanks for any pointers,

-robert