[IPython-user] replace IPython's mailing lists with a forum

Gökhan Sever gokhansever@gmail....
Tue Dec 22 18:31:33 CST 2009

On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 11:38 PM, Steven Bluen <sbluen153@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I would like it if IPython's developers would replace our mailing lists
> with a centralized forum, for several reasons.
>
> 1. Redundant anti-spam measures on both gmane and the newsgroup itself may
> cause your messages to be silently discarded if you authorized yourself only
> on gmane.
>
> 2. Replying to a message from yahoo, which gives your message the subject
> line of "Re: [IPython-user] questions about shell capture", also causes your
> message to be silently discarded.
>
> 3. Simply the fact that you need to copy the newsgroup's email address or
> find it in your contact list, every time you post. For the alternative,
> gmane, I've already had problems with its anti-spam measures.
>
> For these reasons, I would in fact say that mailing lists are obsolete
> mediums of discussion. I'd like to know if other people agree with me on
> this.

stackoverflow.com provides an easier and more readable interface for my
eyes. R. Kern advertised http://advice.mechanicalkern.com/ at the SciPy09
but I guess old habits die hard principle applies here. I see names at SO
that I don't see in the SciPy mailing lists or vice versa. Of course it
would be much preferable to combine all together. At the very least two
medium can be pinged at different times if an answer can't be obtained or
sometimes "no one here but myself can help me" principle applies at certain
times due to the very nature of the free open-source development.

This posting also might be of some interest for some alternative
suggestions:
http://tarekziade.wordpress.com/2009/10/11/top-posting-mobile-devices-mail-threads-and-semantics/

--
Gökhan